What are the Best eCommerce Platforms?
There are several available eCommerce platforms to sell your products online. At the bottom of this article, you’ll find at non exhaustive list of available options for you. Even the most curious won’t have time to try them all in one lifetime 🙂
Thus, to help you make a choice to fit you and your needs, we have drawn up a list of criteria to consider in choosing your platform and selected the two best options for each criterion.
Of course, price is a factor of selection for everything that you purchase. Nobody wants to pay more than they should ; whether it be for a product or a service. Since the list of possible platform choices have fees that go from 0$ to 100 000$, it is important to define your initial objective (as well as your mid term one)
If your goal is to sell products you made yourself just for fun (as a sideline) and you don’t have huge expectations from the get-go, it’s clear that the initial investment should be as close to 0$ as possible.
If you don’t necessarily want to spend a lot but you still dream of transforming your passion into a full time job, you’ll have to select a platform that will be able to support your growth.
Finally, if eCommerce is already your field of expertise and you have to exploit every opportunity that it offers, it will be important to put emphasis on those offered possibilities instead of focusing only on the lowest possible monthly fee.
1st place : Prestashop
Prestashop makes it possible to create a ecommerce website for free. Also, there are no commissions to pay to them on your sales. So financially, you can’t really go wrong with Prestashop. This platform is also « mobile friendly », it offers a multitude of themes (some of them being free) that can help you personalize the appearance of your e-boutique. On the other hand, the SEO aspect (which helps a lot in attracting potential customers) is not very effective. With this option, you’ll have to find other ways to attract visitors.
2nd place : Wix
Wix makes it easy for the everyday man or woman to create a basic website or an e-boutique for free. We put it behind Prestashop for the simple reason that it is not a specialized online platform like most of it’s competitors. But it remains a good choice for the simplicity of it’s features and it’s popularity (over 77 000 000 users worldwide).
The features are like options in a car ; once you’ve tried them, you can’t go back. Depending on the business model you’ve chosen to follow, a few of those features will be important, more or less.
Nevertheless, it’s great to know that the platform you’ll choose will already offer a plethora of different features and possibilities. You never know if in the future you’ll want to implant those on your ecommerce website.
SEO features, tools to simplify the management of discounts of your products, gift cards, integration with marketing platforms, suggested products, abandoned shopping carts reminders, shipping management tools, integration with POS, multilingual management, foreign currency management, compatibility with various payment systems… If you wish to have all that, you’ll surely need a strong platform. If you bet on e-commerce to grow your sales, you will need these tools to optimize your work.
The platform that offers virtually all features and important options. Of course, this option is more costly. But if you fully exploit your online business, you will have a return on investment that is worth the cost.
2nd place : Big Commerce
The name proudly announces what the eCommerce platform was created for! Even with it’s affordable cost, Big Commerce offers a lot of features that will allow you to generate maximum sales online.
Whether you’re a big e-commerce enthusiast or a merchant who wish to expands his sales through the web, you probably don’t intend to become a web programmer. If your chosen platform is easy to comprehend and use, you’ll have more time selling your products (which, in the end, remains the most important aspect of your job) ; rather than learning how to run your site.
1st place : Shopify
The fine folks at Shopify had a mission : become the most widespread and easy to use platform on the web. And let’s say they have achieved this with flying colors ! Their interface is really well made, simple to use and make you achieve excellent results with minimum effort or complexity. They are also well known for the quality of their customer service.
2nd place : Woo Commerce
WordPress’ CMS is one of the most widespread in the world. One of the main reason is that it allows people with no prior web knowledge to create websites that will have a very professional look. Their Woo Commerce extension goes in the same direction by allowing the creation of an online business without too much headache.
A list of eCommerce platforms:
- Magento https://magento.com/
- WooCommerce https://www.woothemes.com/woocommerce
- Big commerce https://www.bigcommerce.com
- Shopify https://www.shopify.ca
- Light Speed https://www.lightspeedhq.com
- Squarespace https://www.squarespace.com
- Prestashop https://www.prestashop.com/en/
- 3D cart http://www.3dcart.com/
- WIX http://www.wix.com/
- Volution http://www.volusion.com/
- Weebly https://www.weebly.com
- Shopping cart http://www.1shoppingcart.com/
- com http://ca.web.com/site
- Aabaco https://www.aabacosmallbusiness.com
- Build Your Site http://www.buildyoursite.com/ecommerce.php
- Sparkpay https://www.sparkpay.com/sellonline
- Webs http://www.webs.com/
- 1&1 https://www.1and1.com/website-builder
- Core commerce https://www.corecommerce.com/?SSAID=415573
- Shopsite http://www.shopsite.com/
- ECommerce Partners http://www.ecommercepartners.net/
- Websites now http://www.websites-now.net/
- AspDotNet Storefront http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com/
- Digital River http://www.digitalriver.com/
- Easy store creator http://www.easystorecreator.com/default.asp
- Precision web http://www.precisionwebhosting.com/
- Shopping Cart Elite https://www.shoppingcartelite.com/
- A Shop Commerce http://www.ashopcommerce.com/
- Jimdo http://fr.jimdo.com/
- Shopio http://www.shopio.com/